About the Trust Fund
We are learning how to stop the violence. These projects reflect the increasing committment that exists worldwide to protect women’s rights, provide services for victims and punish crimes of violence against women and girls. —Noeleen Heyzer, Former Executive Director, UNIFEM
The UN Trust Fund in Support of Actions to Eliminate Violence Against Women was established by General Assembly resolution 50/166 in 1996 and is managed by the United Nations Development Fund for Women (UNIFEM). In establishing the Trust Fund, the General Assembly highlighted eliminating violence against women as critical to accelerating the implementation of the 1995 Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action. The Trust Fund is the only multilateral grant-making mechanism that supports local, national and regional efforts to combat violence.
Since it began operations in 1997, the UN Trust Fund has distributed more than US$40 million to 286 initiatives in 115 countries. With grants currently ranging from US$300,000 to US$1 million, UN Trust Fund projects focus on supporting the implementation of national laws, policies and action plans that address violence against women. Grants support:
- awareness raising;
- advocacy for adequate budgetary allocation;
- multi-sector partnerships;
- development of sustainable capacities of judiciaries, law enforcement and health service providers;
- access of survivors to services;
- and creation and strengthening of data collection systems.
Grantees, comprising government and non-governmental organizations, have engaged diverse actors, such as women’s, men’s and youth groups and networks; indigenous communities; religious and traditional leaders; human rights organizations; academic and research organizations; and the media.
Report of the United Nations Development Fund for Women on the Elimination of Violence Against Women: Note by the Secretary-General. This report documents the activities undertaken by UNIFEM in 2006 to help eliminate violence against women. It highlights, in particular, activities funded through the Trust Fund in Support of Actions to Eliminate Violence against Women, administered by UNIFEM.
Stories about Trust Fund Grantees
- Colombia: Mapping Experiences Changes Municipal Plans [ eng ]
- Brazil, Chile, Rwanda and India: Proving What Works in Engaging Men [ eng ]
- Morocco: Protection for Women and Girls Marginalized by Stigma [ eng ]
- Serbia: A Pioneering Province Advances a Plan for Action [ eng ]
- Cambodia: Radio Broadcasts Break the Silence [ eng ]
- Commonwealth of Indepedendent States: Shining Light on Human Trafficking [ eng ]
- Latin America: Making Cities Safer [ eng ]
- Nepal: Sending Messages Across Mountains [ eng ]
- More “Voices from the Field”